Meet Kay Kuzma, Ed. D.
Author • Educator • Radio and Television Personality • Wife • Mother
Founder and speaker of Family Matters a non-profit religious organization to promote wholesome family relationships and reduce alienation and abuse.
" Kay Kuzma is the greatest undiscovered gold mine in the country. She is so multi-talented that it’s hard to fully describe her. Kay is a gifted writer, a brilliant communicator, and an enthusiastically contagious human being. To experience her is to experience life at its best." --Tim Hansel, Author & Speaker
"Few family life specialists coax quality parenting out of America’s dads and moms like Dr. Kay Kuzma. She writes and speaks with an informed warmth, sparkle and practical candor that daily make successful marriages and family living not only possible, but irresistible." Paul Lewis, Author & Speaker and Founder of Dad’s University.
Bio for Kay Kuzma
Dr. Kay Kuzma, wife, mother, friend, and author of over 35 books and hundreds of articles, is founder and speaker of Family Matters, a ministry to promote wholesome family relationships and reduce alienation and abuse. Kay received her masters in child development at Michigan State University and her doctorate in early childhood education from UCLA. After teaching at the university level for over 25 years and hosting a daily radio feature, Got A Minute for Your Family?, she now does radio and television parenting spots on Three Angels Broadcasting Network. She has been a popular guest on hundreds of radio and television shows, including NBC Today’s Show, Voice of Prophecy and NPR, and is a dynamic and entertaining motivational speaker and family educator. Her latest books include: The First 7 Years: Parenting with Strong Values and a Gentle Touch, Between Hell and High Water: Survival Stories from Hurricane Katrina (with Brenda Walsh), Fit Forever: One-a-day devotionals for Body, Mind and Spirit, Mending Broken People: 3ABN Miracle Stories, Easy Obedience, Memorable Baby Dedications, Blessings at Midnight, Belonging (with Ron and Nancy Rockey), Serious About Love, and with Brenda Walsh, Passionate Prayer, Passionate Prayer Promises and Prayer Promises for Kids. Dr. Kay and her husband, Jan W., live in the Appalachia hills of Tennessee on Norris Lake and have three grown children and a growing number of grandchildren.
Short Bio for Kay Kuzma
Kay Kuzma with a doctorate in early childhood education from UCLA is a dynamic motivational speaker, family life educator, retired university professor, author, radio and TV personality with over 30 years of experience teaching, writing, and advising parents and others on how to develop strength of character and meaningful relationships.
Activities and Accomplishments
• Published 35 books with various publishers: including Doubleday, David C. Cook, Rawson Wade Publishers, Stratford Press, Thomas Nelson, Pacific Press and Review and Herald.
• Professional representative for Mattel Toys first computer-type product for children in the early 1980’s, was featured in an advertising film and did radio, TV and newspaper interviews nationwide.
• Published over 900 columns in the San Bernardino Sun Telegram newspaper from 1989-1996.
• Has been a magazine columnist for Family Life Today, Virtue, and The Adventist Review and has been a regular contributor to Christian Parenting Today, and Vibrant Life.
• "Dr. Kay's Q&A" column as appeared in a number of Christian newspapers.
• Authored hundreds of articles in journals such as Adventist Review, Christian Parenting Today, Parents and Teenagers, Ministry, Vibrant Life, Celebration, Kid's Stuff, as well as non-Christian journals such as Ebony and Redbook.
• Produced over 75 fifteen minute radio programs, over a thousand five minute radio programs and 48 thirty minute television programs for Three Angels Broadcasting Network.
• Produced 850 Got A Minute for your Family 60 second radio spots that at one time was syndicated M-F (daily) feature to over 900 outlets worldwide.
• Guest on hundreds of public service interviews for both radio and television, a few for example, NBCs Today Show, Gary Collins Hour Magazine, Lifestyle Magazine, Joy Program (TBN) and syndicated and local talk radio and television program, including NPR.
Honors (a few selected ones)
• Graduated with honors from UCLA with a Doctorate in Early Childhood Education.
• 1988 Listed in International Who's Who of Professional and Business Women
• 1994 San Bernardino Sun Most Popular Columnist (as selected by readers)
• 1998 Adventist Woman of the Year (An award given by the Association of Adventist Women)
• Founder and President of Family Matters since 1982, and Family Matters Ministry since 1998 (focusing on family retreats, writing and speaking).
Past Educational Degrees
La Sierra University B.S. Home Economics 1962
Michigan State University M.A. Child Development 1963
University of Calif., Los Angeles Ed.D. Early Childhood Ed. 1970
University Elementary School. UCLA 1963-1965 (Teacher of children 3-6 years of age)
California State University, Northridge, CA 1965-1967 (Assistant Professor, Director/Teacher--Preschool Laboratory)
La Sierra University, Riverside, CA (Assistant Professor, Consumer Related Sciences 1967-1972; Director/Teacher: Child Development Center 1967-1973; Associate Professor, Consumer Related Sciences & Education 1972-1973)
Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA (Assistant Professor, School of Public Health 1972-1973; Associate Professor, School of Public Health 1973-1986; Director: Children’s Center 1973-1974; Director, Family Education Center 1974-1975; Director and Instructor of Parenting Seminars 1975-1982; Adjunct Professor, School of Public Health 1986-Present; Family Matters [Parent Scene] Redlands, CA; Founder and President 1982-1991; Family Matters [Parent Scene] Cleveland, TN 1991-1998; Founder and Speaker of Family Matters Ministry 1998-Present.)
Books Authored: (Currently available)
Between Hell and High Water: Survival Stories from Hurricane Katrina (with Brenda Walsh)
Blessings At Midnight
Belonging! Ron & Nancy Rockey with Kay Kuzma
Energized! Kay and Jan Kuzma and DeWitt Williams
Fit Forever: One-a-day Devotionals for Body, Mind and Spirit
In Praise of Children
Memorable Baby Dedications
Mending Broken People: 3ABN Miracle Stories
Preparing for Your Baby's Dedication
The First 7 Years: Parenting with Strong Values and a Gentle Touch
The Kim, Kari and Kevin Storybook
Serious About Love: Straight Talk to Single Adults
32 Page Booklets (Currently available)
Developing Your Child’s Self-Worth
Don’t Step on the Pansies
Helping Kids Deal with Death
Talking to Your Teenager
Pictures of Dr. Kay Kuzma that can be used for publicity